2023 National Day for Truth and Reconciliation Events and Exhibits in the Fraser Valley
Please follow the links or contact the organizers for more details.
If we have missed an event or there is inaccurate information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Where: Civic Plaza / Thunderbird Square (32388 Veterans Way)- The Reach Gallery, Matsqui Centennial Auditorium & Clearbrook Library
- When: September 30th, 2023 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Hosts: City of Abbotsford, Abbotsford School District, UFV Peace and Reconciliation Centre, Tourism Abbotsford, Clearbrook Library, Abbotsford Police & Fire Rescue Service, Literacy Matters, The Reach Gallery and Abbotsford Children’s Theatre.
Various local civic organizations have united around Thunderbird Square with a common goal – to create a space for learning and understanding. All ages are welcome to this free indoor/outdoor event, which will feature a story walk, live presentations and performances.
- Where: The Reach Gallery
- When: September 30th, 2023 6:30pm – 8:00pm
- Hosts: Rotary Club of Abbotsford Sumas and UFV’s Community Health and Social Innovation Hub
Learn how the system of colonialism that was set up here in British Columbia and that continues to operate today. Learn how to help dismantle settler colonialism and help build genuine reconciliation.
- Where: Fraser River Heritage Park (7494 Mary St, Mission)
- When: September 29th, 30th, & Oct 1 2023
- Hosts: Xyólhmet ye Syéwiqwélh, a group of representatives from the Stó:lō Nation Chiefs Council, Stó:lō Tribal Council and Independent First Nations
Witness a weaving of funeral and memorial ceremonies for the missing children and the unmarked graves and burials of the children who attended the St. Mary’s Residential School in Mission, B.C.
- When: September 25th – 29th, 2023 10:30am-11:20am (PT)
- Host: National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation
This year, the NCTR is offering a series of FREE virtual lunch and learn sessions throughout Truth and Reconciliation Week 2023 to facilitate learning for Canadians on topics related to Truth and Reconciliation.
Topics covered will include:
- Indigenous peoples and the History of Residential Schools
- Unconscious bias and debunking stereotypes
- Intergenerational impacts and ongoing systemic discrimination
- Indigenous peoples’ rights and the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Taking action toward Reconciliation
- Where: UFV Valley Gathering Place (45190 Caen Ave)
- When: September 28th, 2023 11:30am-2:30pm
- Hosts: Éy St’élmexw St’elt’ílém – Good Medicine Songs and UFV
A Special Event honouring the shxweli (“life spirit”) of children lost to residential schools, survivors, and their families through songs, stories, and a ceremony.
- Where: Chilliwack Secondary School (46363 Yale Rd, Chilliwack)
- When: September 29th & 30th, 2023
- Hosts: Chilliwack Métis Association & Chilliwack School District
Enjoy watching dancers, singers and drummers, and browse more then 50 vendors making and selling Indigenous goods. More details here.
- Where: Sardis Park, Chilliwack
- When: September 30th, 2023 11:00-3:00pm
- Host: Wilma’s Transition Society
Day filled with information booths, food trucks, kid’s area, prizes, and more.
- Where: 9651 Skway Road, Chilliwack
- When: September 30th, 2023 4:30pm
- Hosts: Shxwhá:y Village, Skwah First Nation and Pil’alt Warriors
Attendees are encouraged to wear orange and bring a drum or rattle. There will be Iron Man and Hand Drumming Competitions.
- Where: Coqualeetza Memorial Post, 7201 Vedder Road, Chilliwack
- When: September 30th, 2023 10:30am – 12:00pm with meal to follow
- Hosts: Stó:lō leadership & the Sts’elemeqw Residential School Thrivers Society
Sts’elemeqw Residential School Thrivers board members will be speaking and a meal will be served after the ceremony.