Volunteer Income Tax Preparer Position
|Abbotsford Community Services in collaboration with the Canada Revenue Agency hosts an annual free tax preparation service for eligible Abbotsford residents, 55 years of age and older, of modest income and with simple tax returns. This program is largely driven by committed volunteers. Volunteers are trained to assist clients in filing their taxes between March 1st to April 30th, Monday to Friday, by appointment only.
- Prepare and complete basic income tax returns using Revenue Canada supplied computer software and guidelines
- Report questions or concerns to the Income Tax Supervisor/Lead Volunteer
- Ask participants for clarification of information when necessary
- Maintain confidentiality of all information encountered in the process of completing returns
- Attend mandatory training hosted by the CRA, in collaboration with ACS
|Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Knowledge and/or experience in current income tax preparation procedures and relevant tax laws as they pertain to personal income tax returns
- Ability to work with the public with good communication and positive interpersonal skills
- Patience, understanding/sensitivity to the needs and unique challenges faced by older adults
- Accounting background and/or familiarity with taxation documents and form filling an asset
- Experience working with UFile is an asset
|Schedule & Commitment
- Commitment to at least one shift and/or multiple shifts which are available Monday to Friday between 9a.m. and 1:30p.m.
- Able to commit to at least 2 months for this year’s tax service
- Able to commit a larger amount of time for the program’s development is an asset
|Mandatory Training & Orientation
- Orientation to ACS’s policies, procedures & the tax program
- Canada Revenue Agency Training
If you’re interested in helping with income tax preparation, please inquire and apply with the seniors program by email or phone 604-870-3763.