Settlement Workers in Schools
We provide settlement support to newcomer families and their children as they require assistance in adjusting to their new surroundings including the local school system. Staff inform students and their families about schooling and community services in Abbotsford and British Columbia and provide referrals to the services and resources and supporting families in the integration process.
How We Help Parents
- Orientation, information meetings and workshops, and individual information and referral sessions in order to understand the Canadian school system.
- Supporting parents and families in making connections with the broader school community.
- Increased understanding of Canadian culture and their involvement in school and community
How We Help Schools
- Providing information about the newcomer students’ needs and issues and helping school staff to understand the family’s situation/
- To provide support for newcomer students and their families as per school staff requests through information sessions and workshops.
- Supporting two-way communication between the home and the school.
People We Help
- We serve parents of children from age 5 to 18.
- Permanent residents of Canada
- Individuals allowed to remain in Canada and to whom Citizenship & Immigration Canada intends to grant permanent resident status
- Refugee claimants / Refugees
- International students
- Temporary foreign workers
- Provincial nominees
- Naturalized Canadian Citizens
To Access Settlement Services
- Please call to make an appointment with a settlement worker
- We also accept walk ins if there is a staff member available.
Priority is given to recently arrived newcomers, however, eligible recipients may qualify regardless of how long they have been in Canada or whether they have acquired Canadian citizenship.
Did You Know?
Archway has provided services for newcomers for almost 50 years.
Services are Provided in the Following Languages
- French (through interpreters)
- French (though interpreters)
8:30am – 4:30pm
Monday – Friday
Archway Community Services
2420 Montrose Avenue
Abbotsford, BC V2S 3S9
News from Children, Youth & Multicultural Programs
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship recently announced that Canada is offering temporary federal support to help Ukrainians settle in their new communities. Settlement Program services, which are typically only available to permanent residents, will soon be extended...
The Archway Community Connections program hosted their 9th annual International Women’s Day celebration on March 11th at Central Heights Church. It is hard to put into words the significance that one event can have for those who are new to Canada, who are isolated due...
The Abbotsford Community Action Team (ACAT) is raising awareness in Abbotsford middle and high schools about sexual exploitation. Sexual exploitation of youth is defined as any type of sexual activity with a youth in exchange for money, drugs, food, shelter or any...