Settlement Workers In SchoolsHelps newcomer students and their parents adapt to the local school system and community
Settlement Workers in Schools
We provide settlement support to newcomer families and their children as they require assistance in adjusting to their new surroundings including the local school system. Staff inform students and their families about schooling and community services in Abbotsford and British Columbia and provide referrals to the services and resources and supporting families in the integration process.
How We Help Parents
- Orientation, information meetings and workshops, and individual information and referral sessions in order to understand the Canadian school system.
- Supporting parents and families in making connections with the broader school community.
- Increased understanding of Canadian culture and their involvement in school and community
How We Help Schools
- Providing information about the newcomer students’ needs and issues and helping school staff to understand the family’s situation/
- To provide support for newcomer students and their families as per school staff requests through information sessions and workshops.
- Supporting two-way communication between the home and the school.
People We Help
- We serve parents of children from age 5 to 18.
- Permanent residents of Canada
- Individuals allowed to remain in Canada and to whom Citizenship & Immigration Canada intends to grant permanent resident status
- Refugee claimants / Refugees
- International students
- Temporary foreign workers
- Provincial nominees
- Naturalized Canadian Citizens
To Access Settlement Services
- Please call to make an appointment with a settlement worker
- We also accept walk ins if there is a staff member available.
Priority is given to recently arrived newcomers, however, eligible recipients may qualify regardless of how long they have been in Canada or whether they have acquired Canadian citizenship.
Did You Know?
Archway has provided services for newcomers for almost 50 years.
Services are Provided in the Following Languages
9:00am – 3:00pm
Monday – Thursday
Assessment appointments can be scheduled for evenings & weekends
Archway Community Services
102-31943 South Fraser Way
Abbotsford, BC V2T 1V5
News from Children, Youth & Multicultural Programs
Content Warning: This post and videos contains details of sexual assault that may be disturbing to viewers. April is Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Awareness Month which recognizes that boyhood sexual abuse is often overlooked, neglected, and poorly understood. A lack...
It has been just over a year since COVID-19 began seriously impacting day-to-day life in Canada. Since the beginning of the pandemic, Archway has been adapting services to keep clients and staff safe and comply with changing safety recommendations. As we mark the...
The Abbotsford Community Action Team (ACAT) is raising awareness in Abbotsford middle and high schools about sexual exploitation through posters, stickers and online information. The posters feature four of the possible warning signs of sexual exploitation which...