Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)LINC Students improve their reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in English and learn about becoming Canadian Citizens.
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)
Knowing English helps open the door to jobs, services, news and information in Canada. Students in the LINC program will improve their reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills in English. They will learn about Canada, becoming a citizen, politics, history and geography. Students learn about working and living in Canada, rights and freedoms, housing, employment, and education.
Classes run from September to June with continuous intake. Part-time morning and evening classes are available.
- Students must be at least 17 years old
- Hold Permanent Resident status in Canada
To Access English Language Classes
Step 1 – Fill out Application
- To apply, please submit a completed application and copy of PR card (or Confirmation of Permanent Residence) to Archway Community Services (2420 Montrose Avenue)
- Completed applications will be sent to the Surrey Assessment Centre.
Step 2 – Assessment
- Approximately three weeks after applying, you’ll receive a letter in the mail with a time and date of an assessment. Applicants MUST ATTEND this appointment in order to come to English Classes.
- At the appointment, a certified assessor will test four skill areas: listening, speaking, reading, and writing to determine what level the applicant will be placed in.
- This assessment is for our classes only and is NOT VALID for proof of Language for Canadian Citizenship.
- At the end of the appointment, clients will be given their level.
Step 3 – Sign-up for a Class
- Sometimes clients can get into class quickly and sometimes there is a wait.
- If there is room in your class level, clients will be given a start date.
- If the class is full, clients will be placed on the wait list.
- If you have been on the wait list for more than a month, you can call us at (604) 859-7681 ext. 216 to get an update on your place on the wait list.
Before I felt like I had lost myself once I moved to Canada. But I was very encouraged through the LINC classes. All the staff here are very positive. I used to feel dead before and now I feel revived.
My turning point was to join LINC program and learned about everything that was available. Whatever we needed, community services could provide for us. Now we are ready to leave community services and get out into the community and start our new careers and the new page of our lives.
English Class Application Form
Did You Know?
Archway has provided services for newcomers for almost 50 years.
Hours of Operation
8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Monday – Friday
Class time hours vary by class level and location.
Archway Community Services
2420 Montrose Avenue
Abbotsford V2S 3S9
Class locations vary
Stories & News from Multicultural & Immigrant Integration
Abbotsford Community Services Changes Name to Archway Community Services We're excited to announce that Abbotsford Community Services will now be known as Archway Community Services! This change will be more inclusive for the clients we serve beyond Abbotsford and...
“I started as a lot of people do here – for 10 hours per week,” shares Manpreet Grewal, the director of the Multicultural and Immigrant Integration Department at Abbotsford Community Services (ACS). At that time, 30 years ago, there was no Multicultural Department....
This event was for everyone from immigrants, to people who have moved to Abbotsford from another city, to those seeking employment services or information on childcare subsidies. The Immigrant Settlement program and AbbotsfordWORKS co-hosted the event and provided job...