Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)LINC students improve their reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in English and learn about becoming Canadian citizens.
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)
Classes run from September to June with continuous intake. Part-time morning and evening classes are available.
- Be at least 17 years old AND
- Hold Permanent Resident (PR) status in Canada OR
- Be a Ukrainian temporary resident in Canada eligible under the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET)
To Access English Language Classes
Step 1 – Fill out Application
- To apply, please submit a completed application and copy of PR card (or Confirmation of Permanent Residence) to Archway Community Services located at 31943 South Fraser Way, Unit #102.
Step 2 – Assessment
- Within two weeks of applying, you’ll receive a call from the LINC office to schedule an English assessment. Applicants MUST ATTEND this appointment in order to come to English classes.
- At the appointment, a certified assessor will test four skill areas: listening, speaking, reading, and writing to determine what level the applicant will be placed in.
- This assessment is for our classes only and is NOT VALID for proof of language for Canadian citizenship.
- At the end of the appointment, clients will be given their level.
Step 3 – Sign-up for a Class
- Sometimes clients can get into class quickly and sometimes there is a wait.
- If there is room in your class level, clients will be given a start date.
- If the class is full, clients will be placed on the wait list.
- If you have been on the wait list for more than a month, you can call us at 604. 859.7681 Ext: 216 to get an update on your place on the wait list.
“Before I felt like I had lost myself once I moved to Canada. But I was very encouraged through the LINC classes. All the staff here are very positive. I used to feel dead before and now I feel revived.
My turning point was to join LINC program and learned about everything that was available. Whatever we needed, community services could provide for us. Now we are ready to leave community services and get out into the community and start our new careers and the new page of our lives.”
English Class Application Form
Did You Know?
Monday – Thursday
Assessment appointments can be scheduled for evenings & weekends
102-31943 South Fraser Way
Abbotsford, BC V2T 1V5
LINC Clients & Classes
Stories & News from Multicultural & Immigrant Integration
Bus Strike Impacting Newcomers
Learn how the ongoing bus strike is impacting the daily lives of newcomers to Canada.
Volunteer Feature: Sieglinde
Sieglinde has been volunteering with Archway for over seven years. Sieglinde loves teaching and “seeing people succeed”. She designed a confidence-building course for Community Connections where more than 20 women attended. She loves volunteering because it’s rewarding to see how her actions positively affect the people she’s working with.
Landlords Invited to Info Session on Renting to Newcomers
An information session well be held on April 25th for those wanting to learn more about renting to refugees.